|Ficus Tree - Excellent Houseplant For Utah|
Here are some tips to growing indoor plants:
1. Choose the plants: Do some research by talking to people who grow indoor plants. Also, the folks at the local plant nursery should be able to recommend some easy-to-grow plants.
- Make sure you understand how big they are going to get and the size of the growing container they will need.
- Understand their light needs. It can be a challenge for some plants to receive enough light. And other plants don't appreciate direct sunlight.
2. Research the water and nutritional needs of your plants. I water once a week generally and I keep an eye on the water in the tray underneath. You will find that some plants need more and some need less. I find that feeding my plants with a liquid food every six months is plenty. A little goes a long way.
3. Don't prune plants too hard. It shocks them and it's mean. A little trim is good.
4. Choose some nice pots for your plants - I like ceramic pots with matching trays from local garden centers. *I like to put an extra plastic tray under the ceramic tray to prevent an over-watering spill. I have ruined several surfaces with water spills and even warped part of a hardwood floor once. Once. (That's a lesson I only had to learn once.)
5. Get some nice potting soil for new plants and when re-potting old plants. You can find organic or time-release fertilizer or moisture holding soils.
6. Clean the leaves of your houseplants with a soft damp cloth. Be gentle.
7. A pretty houseplant in a cute pot makes a perfect gift for any occasion!