Here are some better ideas:
- cardboard or newspapers topped with 6 inches of wood chip mulch will smother weeds and break down over time.
- it is easy to pull weeds out of 6 inches of mulch.
- you can continue to add more desirable plants to a garden with thick mulch over time without needing to cut holes in landscape fabric (which can be another nightmare).
- the soil (and the roots of the desirable plants) can receive water, air and light without landscape fabric smothering it.
- earthworms and other soil creatures can move to the surface of the soil when they need to if there is no landscape fabric. The Robins will thank you for this!
|lancscape fabric with rocks will be difficult to weed in a few years. rock or woodchip mulch without the fabric is better for the long term.|